Rector's Report: official recommendations on the new Coronavirus
The Federal University of ABC is monitoring information on positive cases of the new coronavirus in São Paulo, as well as the official recommendations released by the Pan American Health Organization (which serves as Regional Office for the Americas of the World Health Organization), the Ministry of Health and São Paulo State Health Secretariat.
It is recommended that members of the university community, especially those who have recently traveled to any of the countries with a record of transmission of the new coronavirus, if they have fever, cough, and shortness of breath, seek public health services for notification and guidance, as well as adequate medical assistance.
As a precautionary measure, it is worth reiterating practices that help protect against diseases caused by various pathogenic agents, among them, the coronavirus. In the topics below, we reinforce some basic recommendations that are widely disseminated by healthcare and communication professionals:
- Wash your hands frequently, for at least 20 seconds, using water, soap and an appropriate alcohol-based disinfectant;
- In the absence of soap and water, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer;
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands, as well as having close contact with sick people;
- Stay home when you are sick;
- Cover mouth and nose with a disposable tissue when coughing or sneezing;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- If a tissue or paper towel is not available, it is preferable to cover your nose and mouth with your shirt sleeve when sneezing or coughing ("sneeze at the elbow") rather than doing it with your hands.
Further information and updates on the coronavirus are available on the websites below:
- Pan American Health Organization / World Health Organization
- Ministry of Health
- São Paulo State Health Secretariat
- Mapping of the incidence of the coronavirus in the national and international territory, updated by the Ministry of Health
Office of the Rector • UFABC